It's the new episode of The Hockey Show. Paul Altmeyer and Horace Greeley speak with Hall of Famer (and Chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame) Lanny McDonald, Horace gushes about Zdeno Chara, and The Police Blotter is full of hilarity.
JUMBO JOE DROPS GLOVES, LOSES PART OF BEARD
CLAUDE JULIEN ET LES HABITANTES VISITENT BOSTON
Boston Bruins: Media Notes
- The Bruins host the Canadiens tonight for the second of four games between these teams this season, the first of two at TD Garden and the second of three of this series in an eight-day span ... The Bruins are 24-10-8 this season and are 14-5-4 on home ice thus far ... They are 7-1-2 against Atlantic Division foes and 14-4-6 against the Eastern Conference.
- The Bruins are playing game 1 tonight of their 8th of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season, as they will face the Islanders in New York tomorrow ... They are currently 5-1-1 in the 1st game of those sets and are 2-3-2 in the 2nd games so far
- They are playing their 7th & 8th sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season, as they hosted Dallas on Monday and will play in Montreal on Saturday ... They have gone 3-2-2 in game 1s, 3-1-2 in game 2s and 4-1-1 in game 3s of those series this season.
RECENT GAMES and LAST 3 RECAPS:
- The Bruins have taken points out of their last 13 straight games at 9-0-4 with an OT loss to NY Rangers (3-2 12/16) wins over Columbus (7-2 12/18), Buffalo (3-0 12/19), Winnipeg (2-1/SO 12/21), Detroit (3-1 12/23), Ottawa (5-1 12/27 & 5-0 12/30), NY Islanders (5-1 1/2), Carolina (7-1 1/6) & Montreal (4-3/SO 1/13), a shootout loss in Washington (4-3 12/28) & OT losses in Pittsburgh (6-5 1/7) & vs Dallas (3-2 1/15) ... It is their longest point streak since a 15-0-1 stretch from Mar. 2-30, 2014 ... They are 12-1-4 in their last 17 games, are 18-3-4 in their last 25 games overall and are 8-1-2 in their last 11 on home ice.
- The Bruins are 14-1-4 in their last 19 games vs. Eastern Conference opponents after opening the season with an 0-3-3 mark in their first 6 games vs. Eastern foes.
- Jan. 7 – Bos 5 at Pit 6/OT ... The Bruins both fell behind by a 3-1 score and led by a 5-3 tally before falling in OT in the 2nd half of a back-to-back set ... Brad Marchand led Boston with 1-1=2 totals while they also got goals from David Backes, Ryan Spooner, Noel Acciari & David Pastrnak ... Tuukka Rask was in goal for his 13th straight point in net (11-0-2) ... PP: 0/2 ... PK: 2/3 ... SOG: Bos 25, Pit 35
- Jan. 13 – Bos 4 at Mtl 3 ... The Bruins hit the halfway mark of their season with their 1st of 3 games vs Montreal in an 8-day span ... They took a 2-1 lead on goals by Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk before falling behind by a 3-2 score in the 2nd period before David Krejci evened the game ... DeBrusk & Marchand (deciding goal) both scored shootout goals in the win as Tuukka Rask stopped 3 of his 4 shootout shots faced ... PP: 1/1 ... PK: 1/4 ... SOG: Bos 32, Mtl 30
- Jan. 15 – Dal 3 at Bos 2/OT ... The Bruins went to OT for the 3rd straight game ... They fell behind by an 0-2 deficit, allowing the 1st goal in consecutive games after scoring 1st in 10 straight contests but sent the game into OT on goals by Zdeno Chara & Ryan Spooner before the Stars scored the winner ... Anton Khudobin earned the point in net ... PP: 0/4 ... PK: 0/2 ... SOG: Bos 32, Dal 32
- Torey Krug is two points short of his 200th NHL/Bruins point.
INJURIES (Total man-games lost in 2017-18: 157)
- Adam McQuaid – Broken right fibula suffered 10/19 vs VAN, missed last 35 games
BOSTON vs MONTREAL, LIFETIME SERIES
- The Bruins and Canadiens are meeting for an NHL-record 740th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 276-351-103-9 record and Montreal holding a 2,236-1,948 scoring advantage in those contests.
- The Bruins are 166-141-56-6 in 369 games played between the teams in Boston with a 1,076-1,004 scoring edge.
- The Bruins have won the last 3 games between these teams, including a 4-3 shootout win in Montreal on 1/13 in the 1st game of this season’s series, and they are 5-3-0 vs. the Canadiens in their last 8 games following a 1-10-2 stretch vs. Montreal.
1: Player representing the Bruins in the 2018 NHL All-Star Game ... Brad Marchand will play in the game for the 2nd straight year. 3: Straight games played into overtime entering tonight’s game ... They have not played 4 straight OT games since Mar. 3-10, 2016.
4: Goals in a game scored by Patrice Bergeron 1/6 vs. Carolina, tying a club mark for goals in a game... He is the 16th Bruin to accomplish the feat ... Phil Esposito did it on 4 occasions; Herb Cain, Bill Cowley & John Bucyk all did it twice; and 11 others had one each with Dave Andreychuk the previous player to do it (Oct. 28, 1999 vs. Tampa Bay) ... He was named the NHL’s First Star for the week of Jan. 1-7 with 5-2=7 totals in 3 games during that week.
7: Season series completed so far (ARI, 2-0-0; COL, 0-2-0; LA, 1-0-1; NSH, 1-1-0; SJ, 2-0-0; VGK, 1-1-0; WSH, 0-2-1).
7: Bruins who have scored their first NHL regular season goals this season (Jake DeBrusk, Charlie McAvoy, Anders Bjork, Danton Heinen, Sean Kuraly, Peter Cehlarik, Matt Grzelcyk) ... Kuraly previously scored two goals in Game 5 in last year’s Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against OTT, including the overtime GWG.
9: Straight games with a point for Brad Marchand from 11/29-12/18, which was a career-best such streak ... He had 6-8=14 totals in that stretch and has points in 20 of his 27 games overall with 15-17=32 totals.
12: Straight games with a point for David Pastrnak from 11/22-12/18 with 5-8=13 totals in that span ... That is the longest streak in the NHL this season & is a career-best such stretch for Pastrnak.
13: Straight games with a point for the Bruins entering tonight’s game at 9-0-4 ... It is their longest point streak since a 15-0-1 stretch from Mar. 2-30, 2014.
14: Straight games with points in goal for Tuukka Rask at 12-0-2, a career-best point streak ... He has played in 15 of the last 19 games with a 1.81 goals against average, .936 save percentage & 2 shutouts in that span ... He was named the NHL First Star for the month of December with a 9-0-1 record, 1.22 GAA and .955 save percentage over those games.
21: Games this season in which the Bruins have held a 2-goal lead ... They are 18-0-3 in those games.
23: Career shorthanded goals by Brad Marchand, which is the most by any NHL player since he entered the NHL in 2009-10 ... That
ranks 3rd on Boston’s all-time list (Rick Middleton, 25; Derek Sanderson, 24).
34: Goals scored by Bruins rookies this season (25.8% of their 132 goals for) ... That is tops in the NHL, with Arizona next with 30. 115-59-14: Boston’s record since 2011-12 in games in which they have had a fighting penalty.
+177 / +163 / +156 Cumulative plus/minus ratings of Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara, respectively, since the start of the 2010-11 season which rank 1, 3 & 4 overall in the NHL over that span.
223-13-16: Boston’s record since the start of the 2010-11 season when they have carried a lead into the third period.
239-15-14: Boston’s record since 2011-12 in games in which they have had a 2-goal lead in a game ... That extends to 151-1-4 over
that span when they have led by 3 goals.
361: Consecutive Bruins games (regular season and playoffs) currently sold out at TD Garden ... Their last non-sellout game was on Dec. 2, 2009 when a Wednesday game vs. TB drew 16,553.
- The Bruins currently have 23 players on their roster, including 1 on injured reserve ... 10 were drafted by the team, 3 were acquired in trade and 10 were signed as free agents.
- The Bruins play 10 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier) ... They have a 3-2-1 record in afternoon games so far.
- The Bruins have 14 sets of back-to-back games this season ... They are currently 5-1-1 in the 1st game of those sets and are 2-3-2 in the 2nd games so far.
- They have 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season ... They have gone 3-2-2 in game 1s, 3-1-2 in game 2s and 4-1-1 in game 3s of those series this season.
- The Bruins are playing a 12-game January schedule (5 hm/7 rd, 3-0-2) ... They went 4-3-3 in the month of October, 7-5-1 in November & were 10-2-2 in December ... They will play 13 games in February (5hm/8 rd), 16 in March (8 hm/8 rd), and 4 in April (1 hm/3 rd) with their 1/4 postponed game vs. FLA still to be rescheduled.
Dec. 15: Matt Beleskey assigned to Providence/AHL. Dec. 21: Colby Cave recalled from Providence/AHL. Dec. 22: Colby Cave returned to Providence/AHL. Jan. 1: Peter Cehlarik returned to Providence/AHL. Jan. 3: Anders Bjork assigned to Providence/AHL.
THE HOCKEY SHOW, NOVEMBER 2017